Friday, April 22, 2011

WALK HUMP?Y

Well, I decided there was no better way to celebrate Earth Day today than to go outside and let loose some toxic fumes. (Yes, I just heard it too: please restrain yourself from any fart jokes.) Today I had a day off and I wanted to make something for Blob's nursery. Don't worry, I worked outside and wore a mask the entire time.


I've discovered a few things. A West Texas backyard that consists of primarily dirt and wind is not the optimum place for spray painting projects. Also, I am terrible at spray painting.



Here's what I made. I completely stole this idea from a different blog, verse and all. I hesitated to use the same verse but then said to myself, "Why?" It's one of my favorites and I really think it's one of the best 'sum-ups' I've ever heard in regards to how I want to raise my son.

I wish I could say the 'distressed' look was totally on purpose. In fact, it was entirely the opposite of the effect I was trying to go for. I realized when the first coat of orange paint looked like a tie-dye job that I probably wasn't going to get the clean lines I was aiming for. Then came the stencils. I tried to be neat, I really did. Biggest problem? Aside from the stencils blowing wherever they wanted to while I was trying to spray them, I also realized that "WALK HUMBLY" was just not going to fit comfortably on the canvas. It was too late for turning back though and so I soldiered on. Now, my favorite line of the verse looks like "WALK HUMP??Y" and I've decided it is what it is. And it'll hang in the nursery until I can't stand it anymore or until Blob starts saying "... and walk humpy with your God" because of my lacking craftsmanship.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

1 comment:

  1. We're trying to buy a house. If we get it, will you make something for it? We will pay you in cash or gift cards.

    ReplyDelete